On World Habitat Day, unite voices with Habitat for Humanity supporters all over the world to help raise awareness of the global movement and importance of housing issues.
On World Habitat Day, we hope you will join us by taking the following actions:
- Join us on Oct. 5 as we raise awareness during our Pledge and Prayer event.
- Join us at Ruby Tuesday on World Habitat Day any time of the day. As part of their Giving Back program, Ruby Tuesday will give back 20% of your meal purchase to Mesilla Valley Habitat for Humanity. Click here for your event flyer.
- Visit your local ReStore, and support its pinup fundraising campaign.
- Share your commitment on your social media network, and invite your followers and friends to find out more about Habitat and World Habitat Day.
World Habitat Day is a special opportunity for Habitat for Humanity to call on individuals and organizations to help address poverty housing. With your help, we can improve lives and communities — at home and around the globe. Call our office at 575-525-0475 for more information.
Did you know:
- Worldwide, 1.6 billion people live in substandard housing conditions. About one in four of all people live in conditions that harm their health, safety, prosperity and opportunities.
- If the trend is not curtailed, the number will grow to 3 billion living in substandard housing by 2030, or 40 percent of the world’s population.
- In our area, there exists a sector of our population who, because of their low income, tend to live in substandard housing and spend between 45 to 70 percent of their income on rent.
- Estimates of homelessness in the United States vary from 1.6 million to 3 million people. Most studies conclude that about one-third of the homeless are children.
- Habitat has helped more than 3 million people since our founding in 1976.
- Since our founding in 1987, our local Habitat affiliate has built 92 homes, helping over 400 people, including over 300 children, acquire decent shelter.
- Habitat works in more than 1,500 communities in the United States, and in more than 70 countries worldwide, from Argentina to Zambia.
- Every 5 1/2 minutes, Habitat serves a family in need of better housing.